Wednesday, September 7, 2011

I'm a Georgia peach!

Really, I am. I heard this my entire life. I was born in Georgia, but never lived here until two years ago when my family moved here for my husband's job. I was born in Georgia, but I'm adopted and my adoptive parents did not live in Georgia. So, I only spent a couple of weeks and was whisked away! But for my entire childhood, family and family friends would remind me that I was a Georgia peach.

Here in Georgia, there are plenty of peaches to be found, especially at this time of year. Last summer, it took me a while to figure out where to get actual Georgia peaches. Most of the grocery stores sold peaches from other parts of the country(very strange, I know). But now that I am familiar with our farmer's market and a really cool produce stand that's open pretty regularly, I can get real, local, Georgia peaches for a pretty good deal!

This past week I picked up a small basket of peaches from that stand. Some of them were huge! It was amazing. And we did eat a few, but I soon found myself with four large, ripe peaches that needed to be used somehow or they were going to rot and then I'd feel guilty.

If you follow me on Pinterest, you may have seen me Pin a peach bar recipe the other day. I used that recipe and tweaked a couple of things. What I found, though, is that this is less of a "bar" and more of a "crumble." There is some firm texture to it, but unless you're eating this cold, out of the fridge, it's not that solid. It's very much like a cobbler, but not as wet. Therefore, it's a crumble.

This is apparently adapted way way back from an All Recipes recipe, so I'll notate that.

Peach Crumble

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
1 egg
4 cups(about 4 large) peaches, peeled and sliced
4 teaspoons cornstarch

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.

Slice and peel the peaches if you didn't already.

Then, in a medium bowl, combine the flours, 1 cup of the sugar, baking powder, ginger, and salt. Add the lemon juice and butter and toss with the flour mixture. Use a fork to blend the butter until the size of peas. Whisk the egg and stir into the crumb mixture. Dough will be crumbly.

Press half the dough into the greased baking pan.

In another bowl, stir together the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and cornstarch. Add the sliced peaches and gently mix.

Spoon the peaches over the crust.

Crumble the remaining dough over the peach mixture. I also gently pressed down to try and form more of a 'bar.' I don't know how much of a difference that actually made.

Bake for 45-55 minutes, until slightly brown. Cool before cutting. Store in the fridge.

I'm a fan. Though in the future I might stick with cobbler cause it's less work(and less mess) for pretty much the same result.

No comments:

Post a Comment